CWS Sports Desk
March 15, 2018
River Falls— Basketball officials looking to attend a camp are encouraged to check out an opportunity this summer, from June 22-24 at UW River Falls. Details for the Northern Wisconsin Basketball Officiating Camp are below.
NORTHERN WISCONSIN BASKETBALL OFFICIATING CAMP
JUNE 22-24, 2018 – RIVER FALLS, WISCONSIN
“Officials Helping Officials”
About the Camp:
Since 2005, the Northern Wisconsin Basketball Officiating Camp (NWBOC) has provided classroom and on-court instruction to officials who wanted to improve and grow in their officiating. The camp teaches officiating principles and philosophies that apply at any level. Camp clinicians are accomplished officials who are committed to helping campers improve. The NWBOC provides excellent exposure for officials who aspire to college basketball as well as those wishing to improve their high school schedule. Many past participants made significant advances in their officiating after attending camp.
- The NWBOC is held in conjunction with the University of Wisconsin-River Falls “Great Falcon Shootout“, which is a high school boys’ team camp attracting over 40 teams.
- Games are played in the newly constructed Falcon Center on the UW-River Falls campus.
- Camp begins with registration at 5:45 pm on Friday, June 22. Classroom instruction occurs on Friday night and Saturday and Sunday mornings. Campers officiate from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday and on Sunday morning. Camp concludes at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- Three person officiating mechanics are taught and used throughout the camp.
- Campers are placed in groups of no more than 6 officials. Each group will officiate a minimum of 8 games.
- Clinicians supervise and provide feedback to officials during all games. There is a 5:1 ratio of campers to clinicians.
- Officials will have one game recorded and on-site review of the video with a clinician.
- The camp is certified by the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) and the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL). Wisconsin officials will advance in their WIAA classification and be WIAA certified in three person mechanics. Minnesota officials will earn credit towards the MSHSL official promotional level and fulfill their clinic attendance requirement for basketball.
- Tom Fiedler: Has assisted numerous officials advance through his role as Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officiating for the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC) and Conference Commissioner for the Big Rivers Conference. Has officiated collegiate and high school basketball since 1975. A member of the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame. Big Ten football replay official.
- Casey Eckardt: Highly rated collegiate and high school basketball official. Has presented and served as a clinician at numerous basketball camps and clinics. Serves as the Athletic Director at New Richmond High School. NCAA DIII Final Four Official (2017).
Camp Clinicians: Invited camp clinicians include:
- Jason Nickleby: Coordinator of Officials for the Minnesota State High School League. DII and DIII basketball official. Big Ten football official.
- Ken Koester: Chief Business Development Officer for Referee Magazine with oversight responsibilities for high school and college basketball. Author of Basketball Officiating Mechanics Illustrated: Two and Three Person High School Crews. DIII basketball official. Division I football replay official. NCAA DIII Final Four Official (2010).
- Pat Bauschelt: DII and DIII basketball official. NCAA DIII Final Four Official (2012).
- Greg Blum: DIII basketball official. Big Ten football official. NCAA DIII Final Four Official (2012).
- Mike Carr: DIII basketball official. NFL football official.
- Ted Krize: DII and DIII basketball official.
- Tom Mauer: WNBA Official. DII and DIII basketball official.
- Ryan Nelson: DIII basketball official
- Tyler Nelson: DIII basketball official.
- Chris Riba: Former DIII basketball official, Division II football official and minor league baseball umpire.
Accommodations: Officials are responsible for their own overnight accommodations.
- Campers are invited to stay in dormitories on the UW-River Falls campus. Rates are $20-$30/night depending on accommodations.
- Dorm room reservations can be made online by going to the following website: http://www.uwrf.edu/Housing/Summer/EnrolledNonUWRFStudentSummerHousing.cfm. Reservations can begin being made on June 1.
- There are several hotels in and around the River Falls area.
What Should I Bring?
- Black Shoes, Shorts, and Whistle.
- Striped Officiating Shirts.
What is Provided at Camp?
- Camp shirt.
- Lunch on Saturday. Beverages are provided throughout camp.
- A “pizza and beverage” social on Saturday evening.
Cost and Registration:
- Cost of the camp $275. A non-refundable deposit of $125 is required with registration. The camp will take the first 42 officials who register.
- To register, complete and send the registration form below along with camp deposit.
- Feel free to call 715/577-1244 or email [email protected] with questions.
STREET ADDRESS: ____________________________________________________
CITY: ________________________________STATE: _____________ ZIP: ________
T-SHIRT SIZE: Small_____Medium _____Large_____ X-Large_____ XX-Large_______
EXPERIENCE LEVEL (please check): College/HS Varsity____ HS Varsity_____Lower Level HS/Youth BB_____
Please read the following and sign below:
I hereby release the staff of the Northern Wisconsin Basketball Officiating Camp and UW-River Falls from all liability for any injuries or illness while attending this camp. Further, I have no impairment that would affect my participation. Camp Participant: ___________________________________________________
In Case of Emergency, Please Contact:
Phone Number: ___________________________________Relationship: __________________
SEND THIS COMPLETED FORM ALONG WITH CHECK TO: NWBOC, 1203 WHITE PINE DRIVE N., EAU CLAIRE, WI 54701. Checks should be made out to NWBOC or pay via Pal Pal (account: [email protected]).
For more information regarding camp, call 715/577-1244 or email [email protected].